Thursday, October 4, 2007

Feast of St. Francis


Sanctify yourself and you will sanctify society.
– St. Francis of Assisi

I really don't have a ton to write in regard to St. Francis, I just really love the above quote. It's the "it all begins with me" philosophy. Nothing is going to get better unless I start with me first. And, Oh, there is much to sanctify in the way of me!!!


I had a really nice day. I took the book I Believe In Love which is about St. Therese and her Little Way theology to a wonderful friend, Sara, as a birthday gift. We were talking about all sorts of stuff, unschooling being one of our main topics. I told her that after Autumn and I had gone to Adoration, this morning, that Autumn asked me to read a little coloring book she has about St. Therese. It is a really sweet little book, with really pretty pictures to color, not schlocky made-for-kids-type of illustrations. Anyway, in one part of the book it talked about how Therese saw herself as a little flower in God's garden of souls. She thought that there were grand and tall souls like lili's and little souls like violets. I said to Sara, that we I need to think that same way in terms of who my children are and how they learn. That when you know what kind of flower you have you tend to it properly. Some prefer to be left mostly to themselves and flourish;
others wilt and virtually die if little attention is paid to them.

So, to me, just like there are those with big souls like Mother Theresa and Pope John Paul II, there are those with little souls...like me. We all need to pray and ask God continually if He will give us the grace to know His will for OUR lives and that He will give us the grace to live out his Will. The same goes for our kids. I want them to grow up and follow God's will for their lives... not mine. One may want and need me to be more hands on...another may want and need me to be more hands off...but I need to remember that neither is better than the other...just different.
And there is nothing wrong with that.

No comments: