Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A great blog I discovered...and a little history


I accidentally found this blog this morning, Ukok's Place.  Of course, there are no accidents with God, right?  It is the blog of a 30 something British mom who is a convert to Catholicism.  The reason I think it is neat is because my patron saint,  St. Margaret Clitherow,  was a British mom who was a convert to Catholicism and one of the 40 English Martyrs,  (she is pictured on my right sidebar). My ancestry is primarily English, with a bit if Scottish and Irish thrown in for good measure.  My mom's family are the Herricks of Southampton, NY (a sister city to Southampton, England) and the first English settlement in New York state (as you can see by looking at the town's seal pictured below with the cute little pilgrim).  The Herricks arrived in Southampton, NY in 1653.  One of our ancestors is the English poet,  Sir Robert Herrick  (pictured below).  In 1869 they opened Herrick Hardware. It is the oldest family owned and run hardware store in America.  Pretty cool, eh?  Andrew's middle name is Herrick, in honor (and now memory) of my mom.  Anyway,  I was baptized in the First Presbyterian Church of Southampton (pictured above) which is also the first Presbyterian church built in the United States.  So, I found it quite fitting, when I converted to Catholicism, to pick as my patron a convert and mother from England.  It's interesting how things can come full circle...isn't it?

~Peace,

BTW, the picture of me at the top of 
my blog was taken in a wheat field in 
Southampton, NY (20 years ago!)


2 comments:

ukok said...

Hi Rachel, thanks for the shout out and thanks so much for the wonderful comment you left on my blog!

I love your blog header image, I didn't realise it was actually a photograph of you until I read that it is. Beautiful!

Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to getting to know you :-)

sea glass hearts..... Laurie said...

Hi Rachel,
Thanks for our comments and visiting my blog.
I've been visiting yours for the past couple weeks too. I'm not a good commenter!
I love the song "should I stay or should I go" too

I liked your HS rant. I read it the day we got home from Park Day and luckily for us, too bad you don't live around here, but the kids Just Play! The moms stand around and talk. This time we did walk around the park a couple times for some exercise.

How is your giving up sugar for lent going? I couldn't do it, well not yet. I'm still praying for the strength & grace. I was going to try giving up milk products... it's not going so well. I have a feeling I may have developed an allergy so I was going to test & see.

In my post, I didn't even mention that we sleep WITH our kids. Not only do they fall asleep in front of the tv, but we all sleep together!
See I couldn't post it so I didn't get the "burning" comments.... I'm so ruining my kids!

Peace!!