Saturday, March 29, 2008

The perfect description for my Blog's new name

Melissa Wiley describes below, in the bolded post, how following trains of thought as one connects to the other leads us to all sorts of learning.  It is EXACTLY how I learn, and how I encourage my kids to learn.  I can't think of a better way to explain why I renamed this blog Chasing Butterflies.  Because that is what I do.  I start after a butterfly, then I am stopped by a flower, which makes me think of a novel, which reminds me of an author, which makes me think of a country, which makes me think of a trip, which makes me go home and google plane tickets, which reminds me of a friend in a different state, which makes me google that state's information and then I end up reading all about say...Colorado...when what I originally started to do was try and catch a butterfly...who...let's face it...is better off in the woods.   Is it any wonder why I love all those If You Give A Moose A Muffin type books!

"You know how I love to write posts about all the connections my kids made today, the rabbit trails we followed? You can do that for yourself too–not just for your kids, I mean. Thinking about trains of thought, how you started out looking for a light bulb and that made you think of Thomas Edison, which made you think of the Edison bit in the Schoolhouse Rock song, “Mother Necessity,” and the “Orville! Wilbur!” part of that song reminded you of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, which reminds you of that time you went to Blowing Rock, NC, where you heard the legend about the Indian maiden and her sweetheart, how did that go, again? And next thing you know you’ve spent half an hour reading about Native American folklore of the Appalachians on the internet, and you never did get around to changing that light bulb."~Melissa Wiley~

Another good blog buddy, Wendy, has also referred to this 'rabbit trail', 'chasing butterflies' type of learning as Attention Compulsive Disorder.  I *LOVE* that!!

3 comments:

Meredith said...

It's a great blog name, even if you are OCD :)

Meredith said...

Uh that was supposed to be ACD (sheepish grin here) M.

Leonie said...

I really like the new name - and it is so true, it is the connections we make while following impromtu rabbit trails, whil chasing butterflies, that stay with us.