Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hair Horror Stories

Okay, I only have 2 real stories. The first is when my mom's sisters would take me every Summer (in Southampton, NY) to get my hair cut (OFF) because they thought I was sooooo cute with short hair. Well, that all came to a screeching halt the Summer I was 12 and after getting my hair cut (OFF) my dad took me for ice cream and the guy behind the counter said, "And what does your son want?" I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SON!!! I was a late developer okay!!! As you can see in the pic below (at 13 years old), I would have been a very pretty boy.
Proof that I have always had the same haircut (except for the shearing my aunts did to me) behold my baby bob below:

Oh, I almost forgot the 2nd horror story. I had had my hair highlighted. It looked really great. So, when it was time to get it redone I went and my stylist was gone. So, they stuck me with a new guy who left it on too long and the top layer of my head was blonde and underneath was brown...lovely!  That was about 7 years ago...never had my hair highlighted since.

Peace,

7 comments:

Blogger Julie In Atlanta said...

wow andrew looks ALOT like you with your boy cut..... Its not horrible....quite the rage back in the late 70s/early 80s before hair got huge.

Blogger Julie In Atlanta said...

I forgot to add......nice you a little chianti with your cake in the older pic..... YOu were a very cute kid.

Kathleen said...

Love the shag cut, you were adorable! I had that SAME cut in 6th grade, but I have some curl so it flipped all over.

I remember the highlights...

Sara said...

Kathleen, shut up about your curls!

I think your pic looks a lot like Andrew, too. You were a beautiful boy and a beautiful girl, too!

laughin said...

I remember having short hair in first grade and having some kid tell me I can't go in the girls' bathroom because I was a boy!

I had long blonde hair, but my mom cut it because I would scream and yell when they brushed it.

Not that I am still bitter 30 years later.

Rob said...

I don't think you look very boyish in that picture. if you were a boy and looked that pretty you would probably have gotten your @ss kicked a lot.

btw - Got the new Cure album yesterday. Loving it. I know it’s heresy to you, but I like it a lot better than the new Coldplay. Of course I’ve been queer for The Cure since ‘83

Rachel said...

Rob,

I LOVE The Cure...LOVE THEM! So, it is not heresy. However, the new Coldplay album IS! I was actually thinking about it today. I HATE IT!
And I am so bummed because Chris Martin and the boys can do ALOT better than this frickin new cd piece of crap. The only songs I like on it are Lost, Violet Hill and Viva La Vida. I am sooooo disappointed in them. However, Robert Smith still has "it" lipstick, eyeliner, crazy hair and all!

Andy and I watched a concert of theirs in Charlotte, Va on HDTV just a couple of nights ago.

My favorite Cure song is Primary. It has a totally sweet bass line.

My fave bands in the 80's were:

The Police (my bedroom was wallpapered with them)
U2
Smiths
Cure
New Order
Duran Duran (the bass player was HOT!)