Sunday, February 8, 2009

Regnum Christi

I just want to say how heartbroken I am for all my friends in Regnum Christi and for the priests of Legionaries of Christ. I am not a member, but have been involved with FAMILIA (which is an RC apostolate) and loved every second of it. I know this is going to be a tough time for all those involved in the movement. All I can say is don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The bathwater being Fr. Maciel. The baby being all the good that has come from LC and RC. As Catholics our sin doesn't only affect us personally, but affects us communally. So, there will be pain and suffering for LC and RC as all the details come out and they are inevitably raked over the coals. However, the Deciever LOVES this kind of thing. He loves to set up a leader to fall bigtime and then scatter all the good work that leader may have done, in spite of his sins. We are all imperfect. Like Christ said, "Those among you without sin cast the first stone."  This doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to the alleged double life of Fr. Maciel. However, if Christ's kingdom has been advanced and families have more peace and love in them, and life is held more sacred, then maybe, Regnum Christi should be able to continue...beaten and battered...but possibly more anchored in Christ and stronger for the road ahead. 

I am a convert to Catholicism. I was called to the Church during the terrible sex-scandals. I was thinking."What? Why on earth now?" But the Church of Christ has to be stronger and more meaningful than the sinners it is comprised of. If we were all so wonderful and perfect, then why would we need Her in the first place. 

Peace,

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Scandals can be hard to face but they are definitely part of the Church, as a human institution..as you said, the Church and Christ are stronger and we can all move through difficulties and come out better...

Mau said...

Very nice post and exactly how I have felt about the scandal. I feel so sorry for those involved in Regnum Christ and for the Legionnaires, too, especially since they are the ones left to defend the organization and to pick up the pieces.

May God have mercy on Fr. Maciel's soul. His sin has caused so much damage. It will take years for RC and LC to recover, God's Will be done.

silverhand said...

Amen!!!
You couldn't have expressed it better. I used to be involved in rc..but feel no bitterness toward the Legion. I only feel grateful for what I received there. God chooses human vessels and at times very flawed ones!!!! Fr. Marciel must have had some trait needed by the Holy Spirit to found this good order. But He sinned as we are all inclined to do.
Blessings from a finished homescholing mom.....two through k - 12

sue