Friday, April 11, 2008

Parable Meme

Picture is The Prodigal Son

Okay, I have been tagged by Stevie to participate in a Parable Meme. It pretty cool.  Here's what you do, you list your 5 favorite parables and then tag a person for each one.

#1 Parable of the Lost Sheep.  I love thinking of Jesus running around on a dark, windy, rainy night looking for his 1 lost sheep. It makes me realize that I am always important to Him.  He will always come to find me...or any of us who are lost.  It is very comforting.

#2 Parable of Talents. This is the one that ends that to he who is given little, little is expected and to him who is given much, much is expected.  It makes complete sense that the more I learn and grow in my faith, the more I will be called to give of myself.  A perfect example for me is: when I realized and understood the teachings of the Church on artificial contraception, there was NO WAY I could go back.  God revealed to me 'much' and the 'much' that was required to me was NOT to turn a blind eye to that teaching, but to follow it with loving obedience.

#3 Parable of the Pearl of Great Price. This is the one where the person goes out and sells everything they have in order to purchase a pearl of immeasurable value.  It says to me that no matter the cost,  my Catholic faith & Church, which I left a whole familial history behind for, is priceless.  I need to hold on to that no matter what.

#4 Parable of the Scattered Seeds. This is the one where the seeds get scattered and some never make it to the soil and die, some land in shallow soil and don't live long, others get choked by weeds, and the last make it on fertile soil and grow and bear fruit.  This parable is true in two ways for me. 1) That at different times in my life I can be all 4 seeds. Ultimately, I am shooting to be a seed in fertile soil at all times.  2) That when I am the farmer scattering the seed, I need to be very cognizant of where I am throwing the seed (gospel). I need to make sure that I tend to any 'gospel' I plant in another soul.  

#5 Parable of the Prodigal Son.  C'mon, how obvious is this one for a Catholic convert. Here is the sacrament of confession all wrapped up in a tidy package. He loves me, He is always waiting for me to come home, He is always forgiving and full of love. Doesn't get better than that!

I tag:

1) My Hunny, Robert

2) My across-the-pond pal, Maggie

My IRL friends: 
3) Sara
5) Lisa

Have fun!
Peace,

4 comments:

Blogger Julie in Atlanta said...

Confession: Regarding the prodigal son parable, does anyone every feel like the "good son" and think...why does he get all the glory when I have been good all along? Sometimes I wonder what the other son was thinking when Dad forgave the prodigal and wonder how often do I judge the forgiver because I feel "better" or more worthy than others. Perhaps I am totally missing the point, I do get that He is all forgiving no matter what, but I can't help but wonder about that other son sometimes......

Julie

MaggieClitheroe said...

Julie, I always used to think like that, and then a priest once gave a sermon where he pointed out that even though the "good" son had always done his duty, he hadn't done it with real love, because if he truly loved his father he would not have sought a reward, and neither would he have felt resentful in seeing his brother being welcomed back. It's that really hard lesson for us sinful mortals to learn, about unconditional love. It's the one we have to apply when we hear about those death-bed conversions, etc.
Rachel, thanks for your kind comments on my blog. Yes, I'm one of those dreaded homeschoolers too! You should like today's post, it's all about digging in the garden - I'm definitely torn between the idea of unschooling freedom, and the need for discipline, and getting the lazy tyke to do some academic work!!
I'll try and do the meme soon.
God Bless.

Leonie said...

Wow, it would be hard to pick parables.

I was interested to see your choce re the parable of the scatteed seeds - that it works in two ways...

MaggieClitheroe said...

Done it, at last!