Tuesday, January 22, 2008

March For Life

This is a cause near and dear to my heart.  Because had I been a different woman 18 years ago, my wonderful, amazing, fabulous...I could go on and on...son might not be here.  So, every year, since he's been 14 (and actually once when he was 3 in Washington D.C. when Clinton was in office) we have gone and, along with hundreds of others, Marched for Life.  

Today, Mike Huckabee was the speaker.  He was GREAT!  I took a picture with my phone and I am going to see if I can add it to this post eventually.  Hearing him in person, and his dedication to the cause for Life only made me like him more as a Presidential Candidate.  It is a core issue for me, probably more than homeschooling, dare I say it (and Huckabee has gotten a bum rap on that score if one even bothers to check it out). So, after hearing him talk about his devotion to the Culture of Life (and when people use JPII's words I instantly warm to them) and then thanked Catholics first, for being the ones to really oppose abortion from the beginning (even before the Evangelicals ...so said he) I couldn't help but like him more.  I was a Baptist for 2 years (most Protestants try out lots of different Denominations) and they are NOT fond of Catholics, so I liked that Huckabee gave us props.  (Though he doesn't strike me as an anti-Catholic Baptist at all...and I know not all Baptists are...so if you are one don't get mad).

Anyway, I know as the days pan out it's looking less like Huckabee has shot at the nomination.  But I will be pulling (and praying) for him until the end. He's got an important message.  I think people need to hear it. He doesn't hide who he is.  He wears his beliefs on his sleeve, and his faith informs his politics not the other way around as with other politicians.  He is a man I can stand with.  I am happy I got to see and hear him in person.  He was very well received by my fellow Georgians, and even the Georgia Right To Life endorsed him as their candidate of choice because of his unwaivering stand for Life.

The walk was solemn and God held the rain until we were done (which was nice coz it was 33 degrees).
See what Georgia is doing to defeat Roe v Wade.

For Life...Always!

3 comments:

WellManneredFrivolity said...

Not all Baptists are anti-Catholic. I am a member of a SBC church. Our particular church very ecumenical (I think that is the right word).

Roe v Wade is very near and dear to my heart too. Unfortunately I was a different woman all those years ago. I would love nothing more than to have Roe v Wade overturned, because I don't want any woman to go through the torment I have gone every. single. day. of my life for the past 14 years.

Anonymous said...

great to meet another Catholic Huckabee supporter,pro lifer and someone who appreciates the teaching authority of the Church.
God Bless,
p4p
your blog is awesome!

Rachel R. said...

Thanks for the compliment, Anonymous!
I love the idea that my blog is awesome to someone other than me. COOL!

Rachel