Friday, February 15, 2008

Book Meme

THE BOOK MEME

My new blog pal, Ukok, tagged me.


Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the next three sentences.

5. Tag five people.



From The Underground History of American Education 

by (one of my heros) John Taylor Gatto.

Page 123

1st three sentences after 5th sentence:

Many schools were burned to the ground and teachers run out of town by angry mobs. When students were kept after school,  parents often broke into school to free them. At Saltfleet Township in 1859 a teacher was locked in the schoolhouse by students who "threw mud and mire into his face and over his clothes,"  according to the school records---while parents egged them on.  

Like Ukok I have to finish the author's thought or you won't get it.

At Brantford, Ontario,  in 1863 the teacher William Young was assaulted (according to his replacement) to the point that "Mr. Young's head, face, and body was,  if I understand rightly, pounded literally to jelly."  Curtis (from the book Building The Education State 1836-1871) argues that parent resistance was motivated by a radical transformation in the intentions of schools---a change from teaching basic literacy to molding social identity. 

*(Rachel's notes) The above passage has to do with initial reaction parents had to the idea of compulsory schooling. Too bad relatively few parents feel that way about compulsory government schooling now.


I tag:

Wendy

Kathleen

Laurie

Leonie

Sara

~Peace

-Now I MUST go an pick up my house because Autumn's party for her 8th birthday, which isn't until the 18th, is tonite.  It's grown-up friends for us and their kids (Autumn's friends) for her.-

4 comments:

MaggieClitheroe said...

Hello, I'm another Catholic blogger in England, and came across you via UKOK's place. As you can see from my blog name, I have a devotion to Margaret Clitheroe too! I've just posted about her, so perhaps you'd like to drop in and read it (though I expect you know all about her already!). I also homeschool an only child (10 yr old boy), so I shall be visiting your blog more often, when I get the chance!
Yours in the Peace of Christ.

sea glass hearts..... Laurie said...

Hi. Thanks for the tag. Check out my blog meme.

ukok said...

Rachel, I'm so glad you played along. My goodness, what 'deep' books you read though!

God Bless you!

momof3feistykids said...

That's a fascinating passage. (And -Egads - those poor teachers. Talk about "Killing the Messenger.") =) You have inspired me to finally read this book.