Sunday, February 10, 2008

Prayer by Thomas Merton

Following is a great prayer by Thomas Merton taken from his book, Thoughts in Solitude.  The priest I had my first confession with, Fr. Frank Richardson, a wonderful Irish priest, gave me this prayer to use as an Act of Contrition. For whatever reason one prays it, it is wonderful.  I think it is very fitting for Lent.

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me.  I cannot know for certain where it will end.  Nor do I really know myself,  and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean I am actually doing so.  But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.  And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.  I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.  And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.  Therefore, will I trust you always, though I seem to be lost in the shadow of death.  I will not fear,  for you are ever with me,  and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.  - Amen

~Peace

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Great prayer - I might just borrow it. As a coincidental aside - I was reading of Thomas Merton on the weekend and thought of putting some Merton quotes on the blog this week. :-)

momof3feistykids said...

This is a beautiful prayer. There is a strong sense of comfort and healing. Thank you for sharing it.