Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lent...this time it's going to be tough



I told my husband a couple of days ago that desperate spiritual times call for desperate spiritual measures. I am up against the wall in my discerned role as Lay Director for Christ Renews His Parish at my church. I am responsible (with 2 other women) in helping to spiritually enrich and form a group of women over the next 10 weeks in order that they can tell their witness and bring others in our parish closer to Christ and each other!) That is a huge responsibility. So, in order to make sure I am really on my knees during this formation period I have prayed and found out that what God is calling me to do for Lent is give up SUGAR! Normally, I try and do something spiritual in lieu of the 'give something up' kid-friendly route. However, sugar is a huge soothing mechanism for me. And I need to turn to Christ, not cookies. So, I need this Lent to hurt a little. I need some serious self-denial and a 40 day fast from sugar is gonna be some serious self-denial...but the aim of physical self-denial will hopefully end up being spiritual enrichment. This is not a diet. This is very much a kind of fasting. This is really giving up something I adore (in almost any form) for the Lord I adore. My only exception will be to have homemade (by me) birthday cake on my daughter's 8th birthday coming up soon. Other than that it's going to be sugar free for me. I don't believe for a moment that I can do this AT ALL. I do believe, however, that Christ can do this through me, if I get out of the way and let Him.


(I imagine quite soon I will be desperate for Easter to arrive...Lord, preserve me!)

I'll keep you posted.

~Peace

2 comments:

Sara said...

Go Rachel...I love what you said that you know you will be desperate for Easter to come and that is IT! much Love, Sara

Ruth said...

Maybe this tidbit will help a bit. I found it at Ask a Franciscan.

Q: Last year my Catholic co-workers and I disagreed over whether Sundays are considered part of Lent. Each year I give up sweets for Lent, but I have always understood that I could eat them on Sundays during Lent. Some of my co-workers disagree. With Lent starting soon, I would like to know who is right on this issue.

A: Technically, Sundays are not part of Lent. Although we celebrate them liturgically as part of Lent, the Lord's Day cannot be a day of fast and abstinence. Six weeks of Monday through Saturday gives you 36 days. If you add to them Ash Wednesday and the three days after it, you get the 40 days of Lent.

Some people may find it easier to "give up" something for the entire time between Ash Wednesday and Easter, but you are correct in saying that Sundays are not part of the 40 days.