Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Summer Vacation Sucks

With the exception that I could theoretically sleep in, this vacation has gotten off to a sucky start and it's only going down hill.  Here is my list of good and bad and the bad outweighs the good.

Good

Andrew, click here for his storymy previously unschooled son, graduated with honors, from our local public high school, on Friday night. Woo Hoo! Next stop a job, then college in the Fall. I am so proud of him.

Bad

That same night, actually it was Saturday morning at 2:30am, a graduate from another high school decided to drive through the stucco wall of our subdivision (which happens to be the wall around half of our house, as ours is the first house in on the right) take out one of our magnolia trees bring all sorts of wall debris down the hill with him and land 6 feet from the outside wall of my living room.  He's okay, totally okay, probably had something to do with the 'Weed' they found in the car.  The car was totaled and he had just gotten it. He said he swerved to avoid a car that came into his lane.  Let me tell you, he was going pretty damn fast!  He was not supposed to be out, driving, after midnight because he was 17.  Only 18 yrs and up can drive in GA after midnight.  The net of it is, the yard looks like crap, there is a gaping hole in the wall, their is shit all over the hill from the busted wall. I am thinking our property values could not get much better!

Good

I need to say how thrilled I am that Andrew was home that night, after going out to dinner with us, and not drugging and driving.  Thank you, God, for such a great kid!

Bad

We came home from seeing the new Indiana Jones movie, yesterday (which I really liked, btw), and Ben was being such a jerk in the car that after yelling at him and telling him he was an A-Hole (trust me I have no illusions about being a good mother) I got out of the car, at the light, and walked the 5 miles home.  Robert was driving so don't worry that I abandoned my kids in the car at a traffic light.  I was wearing flip flops, had no cell phone, no Nano, no money, and was really pissed and thirsty.

Good

Robert let me leave the car knowing that walking home was probably the best thing for me. What a good husband...because  he had to deal with Ben while I got to escape. I got to walk 5 miles yesterday!! Very cool. I had only worked up to 3.5 so this was really great.  In the words of Mike Myer's character 'Phillip', from SNL circa 1990s, "When I got home I was tired."

Bad

I was so angry yesterday, at myself and Ben, that I couldn't eat. Even after the walk. I think I had a cup of coffee and a banana all of yesterday (oh yeah, a ton of water too). It's been a while since I was so pissed/sad/depressed etc that I couldn't eat.

Good

Given that I couldn't eat, I probably offset all the yummy calories I took in at Claire's Graduation Crawfish Boil, Sunday afternoon. Kath made exceptional Jambalaya and Red Beans and rice. We made a collage of pictures of Andrew and Claire from the time the met until now...a friendship pictorial....for her to take to college with her in the Fall. 

Bad

I am going to have to cancel my trip to Indiana to see one of my oldest friends and her kids (part of the Florida Brat Pack) because I can't afford to fly all of us, barring Robert who isn't coming, to Indiana.  I was going to drive it, but seeing that I can't even spend more that 15 minutes in the car with Ben, 12 hours would be lethal.  Plus, I can't see myself walking home from, say, Kentucky.

Bad

Ben is obsessed with getting XBox Live again. He will NOT STOP HOUNDING ME!  Even though we told him we would get him a present for finishing elementary school and moving to (private) middle school. The gift he asked for was the IRONMAN game. So, he got it.  Now he's begging me to sell it to get XBox Live!!! Well, I am not gonna because I would get half of what I paid for it...and it was $60 frickin bucks!!!  So, since Ben's birthday is August 1st, I am resubscribing to XBox Live for him as a very early birthday present.  Please note that one can't say no to a kid like Ben. It does not compute in his mind. There is no disciplinary action that works. NONE!  He just asks and asks and asks and begs and begs and begs and asks and until you are willing to do anything...ANYTHING to make him stop.  It is FAR WORSE than WATERBOARDING!!!  Ben needs to be implemented at Gitmo, the government will get whatever they want from those Islamofacists if Ben is working for them!

Good

 Ben is still alive and so am I.

Bad

I will now have to break my friend Rachel's heart and tell her I am not going to be able to go to Indiana. Ben tends to make every event about him (he did a good job of it almost ruining Claire's party mentioned above) so I can't put my friends through any of that. It won't be fun visit, instead it will be the trip from Hell.

Bad

Ben has only been out of school for 3 days. I have 2+ months left of his constant demands, constant mood swings, constant begging, pleading, yelling, tantrums for whatever is or is not making him happy or unhappy. 

Bad

I didn't want to come home yesterday.  I think I could have walked until I wore through the flip flops. But I didn't have the Nano, or money, remember?

Bad

No I know why, no matter how much I have prayed, pleaded, begged and cried, over the last almost 6 years, God has not blessed me with another child. I can barely handle one of the three I already have. He must have dropped the Iron Curtain on my uterus.

Good

I live in America and God loves me. And I don't have to wash my laundry by hand whilst beating it against rocks in a river. 

8 comments:

Robert said...


Good

Your Hubby Loves You and shares the load.


Good

Andrew is 18, so we can go parachuting over the Afgan/Pakastani boarder with "Osama Sucks" shirts on knowing that Andrew will take care of the little ones!


Good

Turnips


Good

We have a robust support network of good Catholic friends to make up for our largely dysfunctinal extended family


Good

You found a gray hair on my head


Good

I still love you :-)

Catherine said...

Obviously, there're more bad than good in terms of words.
And I'm not good at giving advices concerning children since I'm not the best or the most perfect mother, either. My children behaviour sometimes can testify of my failure.
But , Rachel, see above, you get blogger-friends to whom you can tell your stress. Because speaking of it is just like throwing out the bad, to keep only the best. Rob will send you back humor to make you smile again in return, I'll try too, (I'm not as talented as he is). But like we say here,: "I can be a good ear". You get a computer? You get readers? adults in your circle?
We all love you and send you GOOD waves by the net, do you feel them on your fingertips?

Rob said...

Wow that is some heavy...um stuff you are dealing with.

I have nothing brilliant to say to help. Actually I think your Robert said it very well...other than the Turnip part - yuck.

I will pray for you and Ben and the rest of the fam for what its worth. Actually prayes are worth a lot (maybe even mine) but it sometimes annoys me when people say "I'll keep you in my prayers". Yes I know you will but I want someone to fix the damn situation now! (i'm just holy that way).

For once my kids are all in bed, watching a movie or out and Sam is out too, so I'll go dust off my rosary and say one for ya. So go grab the nano and some wine and try and escape for a bit while your peeps out in blog-land pray for y'all. Or better yet go grab Robert and some wine and ...

Rachel said...

Thanks everyone, My Hunny included. BTW, Robert wouldn't eat a turnip if you paid him to. He just likes saying the word "turnip"...weirdo.

Thanks Catherine and Rob. I do appreciate the prayers, thoughts, and good vibes. I will always take what I can get. Hey, God may not listen to me, buy He's bound to listen to one of my friends.

I got to hang out with a very good IRL friend, Sara, today. Her oldest daughter is dealing with alot of the same stuff so we can plan the double homicides together. Oh, did I write that out loud? My inner monologue must be broken.

If I didn't have a sense of humor I would be dead. Thanks again!!

Rob said...

Ok mission accomplished. My 13 year-old came with me – I think kids prayers work better, they aren’t as jaded as adults. Anyway I decided to walk the neighborhood since it was a nice night and say the rosary. Elizabeth came with me, she was watching Signs with her older sibling and it was scaring her some – she’s one of the sensitive ones, so she volunteered to come along.
Also our 15 year-old and my wife have sorta the same issues as you and Ben but on a smaller scale. Ours isn’t bi-polar he’s just a big pain in the ass. And he and Sam have clashed since he was little. So I really needed to pray for them too – they had a tough day together.
And don’t go thinking I’m some goody-two shoes or something. I’ve got my borderline-heathen rep to keep up.

Peace out sister

Oh and be careful writing about double homicides on the web…even the jackasses and in the government might be able to figure it out if you went through with it. I mean Al Gore did invent the internet after all

Rob said...

one other thing. I'm glad Robert won't eat a turnip either and just likes saying the word. his coolness factor is going way up

Rachel said...

So, what number kid is your 15 year old? I am wondering if God was so kind as to give me another cute cuddly baby that it might hopefully end up being nice to me. ;-)

Thanks for the Rosary!

Andy is watching 'Radiohead in the Basement' on MTV HD. It's mostly stuff from In Rainbows. Anyway music soothes the savage beast so I am feeling quite happy.

BTW, Robert is very cool...though I am seriously cooler. :-)

Rob said...

Elizabeth (13) is our 4th and is a sweety. Caleb (15) is our 3rd and is the pain in the ass. Soooo I guess #4's are good.

A! I knew you were Regnum Christi, Rob! I just knew it. Is that where Josh is at the LC seminary high school? I am just finishing my 4th and final year in RC's FAMILIA. It's been awesome

Sam joined RC around 12-13 years ago. I don't officaly belong but go to some of their stuff and all my kids who are old enough are involved in the boys and girs clubs. Josh has been active with them since he was a little kid. He is at an LC HS pre-seminnary in New Hampshire. And will be going to one of their semminaries at the end of August. We don't know which one he will be sent to yet. It doesn't really matter too much since the first 2 years they pretty much live like a cloister and spend most of their time in prayer. Those first 2 years we only get to see him for 1 day visit each year :(.
The whole process is 12 years or so to become a priest.